View job description (PDF) or scroll down…
Hand Papermaking, Inc. Seeks Full-Time Executive Director
Susan Mackin Dolan
Board Chair & Search Committee Chair
Application Deadline: January 15, 2017
To Apply: Interested applicants should send a résumé detailing relevant experience, with a cover letter describing interest in the position and contact information for three professional references.
Position Start Date: March 1, 2017
Hand Papermaking, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
Organization Mission and Background
Hand Papermaking, Inc. is a nonprofit publisher dedicated to preserving and advancing traditional and contemporary ideas and practices in the art of hand papermaking. For over 30 years, Hand Papermaking has explored and chronicled the art of making paper by hand, showcasing traditional and modern practices worldwide, curating and presenting the best of the field, inspiring the ongoing revival of the craft, and facilitating the emergence of handmade paper as a vibrant contemporary art medium. The organization was founded in 1986 by Amanda Degener and Michael Durgin and has been under the leadership of Tom Bannister since 1995.
Position Description – Executive Director
Status: Full time
Location: Office space provided by Executive Director
Staff: Works with four part-time staff, who also provide their own respective office spaces
Compensation and benefits:
- $40,000–$45,000 commensurate with experience
- Retirement plan
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for providing overall leadership to the organization, daily operational oversight, and coordination of its core programs: a semiannual magazine, quarterly newsletter, biennial portfolio, and artist registry. The Executive Director works in tandem with the Editor, provides leadership to the board, and oversees staff in the identification and realization of the values, vision, and mission of the organization.
- Fundraising and Development—Provides oversight and coordination of numerous fundraising and development projects including but not limited to the annual auctions, biennial juried artist portfolio program, end of year campaign, grant writing, donor relations.
- Marketing, Sales, and Outreach—Oversees promotion and sales of publications, including but not limited to the magazine, newsletter, portfolio. Attends and/or coordinates Hand Papermaking’s participation in trade fairs, conferences, and public presentations. Designs and implements marketing campaigns and bulk mailings.
- Overall Operations and Management—Provides effective management of staff and volunteers, offering leadership and clear direction toward weekly/monthly/yearly goals. Includes coordination with editors and designers in the production of a semi-annual magazine and quarterly newsletter and all related aspects; maintenance of subscriber database; and content management of the website, social media, and other outreach efforts.
- Board Governance/Relations—Fosters a strong Board of Directors, collaborating with its members and committees to develop and implement short-term and long-term goals, as specified in one-year and five-year strategic plans. Includes maintaining web-based board interface, preparing for semi-annual board meetings, coordinating of board committees, answering board inquiries, providing orientation to new board members and advisors, planning and preparation for board retreat every five years, and providing regular updates to directors, advisors, and emeriti.
- Financial Management and Budgeting—Provides oversight of organization’s financial health including preparation of annual budget, quarterly financial reports, and regular updates; and ensures adequate funding is available to permit the organization to fulfill its mission.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred; minimum 3 years of experience in nonprofit arts management (or equivalent) required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Must possess deep knowledge of the hand papermaking field, and have excellent marketing and outreach skills and proven fundraising capabilities. Must have excellent communication and organizational skills. Strong knowledge of publishing is preferred along with proficiency in numerous photo/video processes. Must have high degree of competency in a variety of desktop platforms such as Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Adobe InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and WordPress.
Traits and Characteristics
- Skilled communicator and diplomat
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Creative thinker
- Enthusiasm for papermaking, the arts, and publishing
- Proven leadership and management capabilities